- This event has passed.
Hospital First Receiver Instructor-Trainer Course
July 25 @ 8:00 am - July 27 @ 12:00 pm
The course will be held Tuesday – Thursday, July 25 – 27. Registration check in from 8:00-8:30 on the 25th, course will begin promptly at 8:30 on the 25th, dismissing at 5:00, class starts at 8:00 on the 26th & 27th (8:00-5:00 on the 26th, 8:00 to noon on the 27th). Training will be at Southeast Community College, Fire Building, 84th & O, Lincoln, NE.
This 2 1/2–day Instructor Course offers training and education to meet the needs of Hospital Decontamination Teams. This course will enable educators to provide hospital staff with an overview of hazardous response issues and the dangers of contaminated patients entering their facility. It provides them with prevention preparedness and response techniques to keep their hospital safe. This course follows OSHA’s Best Practices for Hospital-Based First Receivers guidelines for Awareness and Operations level training.
Participants will learn about the role of Hospital First Receivers vs First Responders, hazardous materials, routes of entry and signs and symptoms of contaminated patients. Participants will learn the proper way to don and doff PPE including powered air purifying respirators (PAPRs). They will map out decon zones, set up tents and equipment and participate in a wet exercise using mock patients. A debrief of participants and volunteer mock-victims will wrap up the second day. Day 3 includes course management, equipment and instructor training. Participants will be required to present an assigned portion of the course materials to their peers. The event will wrap up by noon, with a final test, debrief and course evaluation.
Dress is casual. No skirts or dresses as participants will be donning and doffing Tyvek suits and other PPE. Scrubs, capris or other light clothing is recommended for the wet exercise, as the weather will likely be warm. (no short-shorts) Weather permitting; the exercise will take place outside.
Participants must complete the entire course to receive an Instructor Certificate and Continuing Education Credits.
Note: Donning the PAPR is not essential to course completion. We recognize that not all participants can wear the gear, but can still be an essential part of a team. Participation in the activity as a team partner is still required.
• Define the role of Hospital First Receivers and contrast that with the role of First Responders
• Define hazardous materials.
• List four routes of entry for hazardous chemicals to the human body.
• Discuss safety, awareness and hazardous response issues from a hospital perspective.
• Define at least 5 roles of hospital personnel acting as First Receivers in a decontamination event.
• Describe the signs and symptoms of at least 3 types of contaminated patients
• Demonstrate the ability to teach and assist a colleague in self-decontamination using the Bag & Stash technique.
• Demonstrate the ability to don & doff powered air purifying respirators (PAPRS), or demonstrate the ability to assist a partner i donning and doffing PAPRS.
• List 5 concerns and considerations of using mock-victims in an exercise.
• Discuss communication strategies to help calm and effectively engage contaminated patients in the decontamination process.
• Explain ‘chain of custody’ when managing the belongings of contaminated victims.
• Demonstrate the ability to conduct a decontamination exercise using live mock-victims.
• List essential equipment and supplies necessary for Hospital First Receiver Training/including care of the Equipment.
• Given a section of the curriculum, demonstrate the ability to teach that material to a group of peers
• Discuss instructor concerns and responsibilities.
Participants who successfully complete the course will be given both electronic and hard copies of all course materials.
The registration fee for this event is $250 for Nebraska Residents and $450 for Non-Nebraska Residents, which includes course materials, lunch, and break refreshments. Deadline for registration is July 15, 2017. Training will be held at Southeast Community College, Fire Building, 84th & O, Lincoln, NE.
Online Registration is open Click Here
Downloadable Flyer Click Here
If you have any questions, please contact Barbara Dodge at 402.552.3101 or [email protected]
For more information, visit www.preped.org, call 402.552.2529, or email [email protected]